tcpdump mailing list archives

error-message "IP11 truncated-ip" in last tcpdump/libpcap

From: Klaus Schrod <kschrod () npc de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:13:33 +0200

Hello,

I created a new tcpdump 3.8.1 with libpcap 0.8.1 (last stable versions at sourgeforge).

I tried to catch ipsec's ESP protocol traffic between two computers. One side is connected with a DSL router and a fixed ip address to the net and the other side is connected with pppoe.

As a test I sent some ICMP packets (ping / pong) between the two computers. The packets were delivered successfully over ipsec but when I run tcpdump at the "pppoe computer" it shows an error at the incoming side:

    IP11 truncated-ip - xxyzzy bytes missing!

I found some hints in the net that an old libpcap had this error due to bugs in the handling of ppp packets. But this error should have been fixed a long time ago.

Does anybody have any idea why we still get this error?

regards,

Klaus Schrod

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.