tcpdump mailing list archives

tcpdump -E doesn't work for 3des-cbc/hmac-md5

From: Michael Mueller <m.mueller99 () kay-mueller de>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:22:12 +0200

Hi,

Tcpdump -E doesn't work for 3des-cbc encryption with hmac-md5 authentication (tested with tcpdump-2004.09.22 on Linux 2.6). The reason is that in esp_print_decode_onesecret(), print-esp.c authlen is left 0 instead of setting it to 12 for *-cbc encryptions. The 12 byte authlen is required for

        hmac-md5        by rfc2403
        hmac-sha1       by rfc2404

and seems to have the same value for other authentication algorithms too. I don't think that authlen should depend on the encryption algorithm used. I append a patch that sets it to 12. I hope that this is good for all cases. Otherwise specifying authlen on the command line would be an alternative.

Michael
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.