tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap and ppp inbound/outbound on Kernel 2.6.6

From: daschi () gmx net
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:59:43 +0200 (MEST)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up my linux-box (kernel 2.6.6) to use ppp with
active-filter, but everytime I try to call my provider an error occurs:

pppd: error in active-filter expression: inbound/outbound not supported by
linktype 0

When I start the connection with a filter not containing in-/outbound
everything works fine and I can capture packets with tcpdump as well with
in-/outbound as without. When I use tcpdump on my ppp Device the used
linktype is DLT_LINUX_SLL (113) and everything ist just fine.

Has anyone of you an idea why the linktype is 0 when I'm trying to connect?
I've allready tried modifying the options.c settig the linetype to 113 but
it didn't work :(
Adding 0 to the devices which  can make use of inbound/outbound wasn't
successful, either. Seems like the linetype of the ppp connections changes
during call.

Regards and tia,
Daniel

--