tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Proposed new pcap format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:04:55 -0700

On Apr 13, 2004, at 6:58 AM, Darren Reed wrote:

What I'd like to see hashed, by the kernel, is the data it provides
to the user application.  Depending on the purpose, this has better
trustworthiness, I feel. libpcap may decide to throw away that hash
and include its own in the dump file.

I'm not suggesting this just for a quick comparison point of view
(as are some others) but from a data reliability perspective.  If
you have a multithreaded application interacting with libpcap, it
would be nice if the pcap data that you considered sensiive could
be hashed by the provider (the kernel), as is the case with other
data streams in life.

I.e., there are two features being considered here:

1) a mechanism by which the kernel can provide a hash of the packet to ensure some level of trust in the packet data;

2) a mechanism by which packets in a libpcap-TNG file can have hashes associated with them for various purposes;

and the hash from 1) would be one hash that *could* be attached to a packet, but there's no requirement that a packet have a hash associated with it or that, if it does, it's the hash from the kernel.

So I'd see those as separate items for discussion. The mechanism in 2) needs to be sufficient to handle the hashes from 1) as well as other hashes people might want to provide, but that mechanism itself is somewhat decoupled from the hashing in 1).

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.