tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Creeping GCC'sims in tcpdump

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () polito it>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:22:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Reed" <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
To: <tcpdump-workers () lists sandelman ca>
Cc: <tcpdump-workers () tcpdump org>; "Guy Harris" <guy () alum mit edu>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] Creeping GCC'sims in tcpdump

In some email I received from Brian Ginsbach, sie wrote:
The following in netdissect.h seems like a bad thing to do.

#define ND_PRINT(fmt, args...) (*ndo->ndo_printf)(ndo, fmt, ##args)

Not all compilers/preprocessors support variable argument macros
like GCC.  Compiling tcpdump shouldn't require GCC or a C99 compiler.
This macro is only used once in print-eap.c.  Its use should
be nipped in the bud.

This is the case of the MS Visual C compiler (all versions, including the
upcoming VC 2005), and this the compiler used to build tcpdump for Windows
(= Windump).

Have a nice day
GV

I agree that in something such as tcpdump, gcc-isms should be heavily
discouraged, however, I'm not sure about the C99 compiler bit.  In time,
using C99isms will be like using C89isms (or ANSI C.)  For many of us,
the only C99 compiler we have access to is going to be gcc, and whilst
we can equate requiring C99 to requiring gcc, they're not quite the same.

Hmmm, so, what am I trying to say ?

C99 is coming on 5 years old and continuing to object to it will grow
old in time... install a modern O/S and install a modern development
suite.

Cheers,
Darren
-