tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap and Super User mode

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:39:48 -0700

On Jun 30, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Jefferson Ogata wrote:

More specifically, you can use libpcap as any user. On most systems, you have to be root, however, to monitor traffic on a network interface.

I.e., you can use libpcap to read a capture file as any user (if that user has permission to read the capture file in question), but you might have to have privileges of some sort (see the tcpdump man page for what we believe to be the current set of privileges required on various platforms) to do live captures.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.