tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: text format stability

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:29:15 -0400

Eddie Kohler wrote:
It would seem to me that the best approach here would be to design a new format that applied *only in those cases where it was required*: gre/l2tp/mpls tunneling. And of course it doesn't matter how new protocols are printed, there are no backwards compatibility issues.

It would seem to me that the best approach would be to have a format configuration file when an entry for each dissected protocol. Local installations could tweak it however they like.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.