tcpdump mailing list archives

Are all traces captured by dag card in "tcpdump" format?

From: "ice ice" <wildicecoco () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:31:00 +0000

Hi,
I have a trace saying

"Data provided by WAND Research Group using the dag interface card
OC48 data analysis required CAIDA's CoralReef software suite."

I am confused by the statement of "OC48 data analysis required CAIDA's CoralReef software suite".

It seems to me that traces captured by dag card are collections of packet headers. And I can use Tcpdump or CoralReef libary in reading the packet information from the trace. And I even can directly read header by header (IP+TCP/UDP/or other+..) from the trace by my own program, and interpret the information in packet by matching the structure specified in RFC.

Then why "OC48 data analysis required CAIDA's CoralReef software suite"?

I apply the tcpdump on the trace, it also can print out the packet information. But when I write my own program to parse through the trace, I can not get right information. Why is that?

Thanks,
zs