tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Automatic report from sources (tcpdump libpcap

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:38:54 +1000 (EST)

Firstly, still hitting "reply" puts this in the To line:
 To: tcpdump-workers () lists sandelman ca

In some email I received from Automatic cvs log generator /tcpdump/bin/makelog, sie wrote:
CVS log entries from 22.04.2004 (Thu) 09:05:47 - 23.04.2004 (Fri) 09:06:03 GMT
Summary by authors
Author: guy
      File: tcpdump/configure.in; Revisions: 1.175, 1.175
      File: tcpdump/configure; Revisions: 1.175, 1.175
      File: libpcap/pcap-dlpi.c; Revisions: 1.102, 1.91.2.6

Combined list of identical log entries
On non-HP-UX systems, if we fail to open "/dev/{if}" or "/dev/{if}N"
because neither of them exist, just report that there was no DLPI device
found for "{if}N", so people don't think that they need to fix libpcap
(or the program using it) to look somewhere else for the device - the
problem is probably that they're trying to capture on a loopback device
and the lack of any DLPI device is just a symptom of the fact that the
loopback device, at least on Solaris, appears not to support DLPI and
thus isn't supported by libpcap....
Modified files:

On Solaris, the loopback interface is not a real interface.  It's a
fake stub in the interface list for user convienience - there are no
STREAMS queues, etc.  You cannot use IPFilter on the loopback interface
under Solaris, for example.  The IP stack has in it embedded checks for
loopback stuff and it's all internally hard wired.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.