tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_loop error

From: hela boucetta <boucetta_h () postmaster co uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:48:28 +0200

hello,
I am using tcpdump to capture packets from the netwok. I need to divide traces to incoming and outgoing packets. So I
wrote a filter file which contains IP adresses. when I use the command : tcpdump -r tracefile.dump -F filterfile -w
traceIn.dump, I got the error message : pcap_loop:truncated dump file. with some trace files the generated file(with
-w)containes only 24 bytes (I think it is the little header added by tcpdump to the begining of each file). Please, is
there some one who may have experienced this before and can help me determine the cause of the error message!
is it possible that if the read trace file does'nt contain packets with the IP addresses mentioned in the filter
expression, I will have this error?
with one file I have the folloing error: bogus save file header.
please any help to locate the problem!
best regards, hela.