tcpdump mailing list archives

error with pcap_findalldevs()

From: "Mustafa Abu Sedera" <tifa_80 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:35:25 +0000

Hi all!

I had pcap 0.6.1 installed on my redhat 8. I wanted to use the pcap_findalldevs funcion so i installed 0.8.1 on top of it (i don't know how to uninstall a non rpm package, i am noob still).

when I use the function I get an error: undefined reference to pcap_findalldevs(). I checked the pcap.h file (in 2 locations /usr/include and /usr/local/include) and found the function defined in there.

Strange is that:
1- the compiler doesn't complain about the definition of pcap_if_t which i think wasn't available in 0.6.1

2- when i enter an invalid type argument(eg: int in place of char* of errBuf) the compiler displays: incorrect data type in argument of pcap_findalldevs().
And when I write 3 arguments it says: function takes 2 parameters.
This would mean that the compilers "knows" the function.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.