tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump won't compile

From: Nathan Jennings <jenninn () labcorp com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:38:31 -0500

Michael Richardson wrote:

"Price," == Price, Jason <Jason.Price () thomson com> writes:

    Price> I am having trouble compiling tcpdump, and am hoping you all might
    Price> be able to help me out.  I've just built Phil Wood's libpcap,

  I don't know why you say Phil Wood's libpcap. He hasn't worked on it in
a long time. Tcpdump.org's libpcap does not unpack into libpcap-0.8.031204.
(and I'd never use that date format. December 3, 2004? December 4, 2003?)

More than likely, Jason was hinting that he's actually using Phil Wood's Linux MMAP-enabled pcap at http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/.

From Phil's page:

"What's with this libpcap-0.8 stuff?

The suffix on the libpcap tarball stands for the year, month, day that the mmap code was merged into the tcpdump.org release."

    Price,> ./../libpcap-0.8.031204/libpcap.a(pcap.o)(.text+0x1a4): In function
    Price,> `pcap_list_datalinks':
    Price,> /usr/local/libpcap-0.8.031204/pcap.c:222: multiple definition of
    Price,> `pcap_list_datalinks'
    Price,> datalinks.o(.text+0x0): first defined here

  So, it looks like you have a screwed up libpcap compile.

Well, if I'm correct above, maybe not in the way you first thought.

-Nathan

IMPORTANT WARNING:  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL HEALTH INFORMATION which is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed.  If
the reader of this e-mail/attachment is not the intended recipient, employee, or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, reproduction, reading, or copying of
this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete the related e-mail
and all attachments and notify the sender immediately (reply e-mail) and the LabCorp Privacy Officer at privacyofficer
() labcorp com or call (877) 23-HIPAA / (877) 234-4722.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe