tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Looking for advice to improve performance

From: Edin Dizdarevic <Edin.Dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:13:12 +0100

Hi,

check this:

*
* Networking options
*
Packet socket (CONFIG_PACKET) [Y/m/n/?]
  Packet socket: mmapped IO (CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP) [Y/n/?] ?

CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP:

  If you say Y here, the Packet protocol driver will use an IO
  mechanism that results in faster communication.

  If unsure, say N.
  Packet socket: mmapped IO (CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP) [Y/n/?] y

Have you been thinking about using the Phil Wood's ringbuffered libpcap?

I don't know if it will help here, my experience in useing it with Snort
is quite positive. The last version has also improved Linux statistics
reports. I dont know if this apply to "normal" version too.

Best regards,
Edin

Price, Jason wrote:

What type of link are you trying to monitor?
[...]
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe