tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD work on Tcpdump privilege separation

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:36:33 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Richard Bejtlich wrote:
Has anyone seen the OpenBSD work on privilege
separation for Tcpdump?  I became aware of it from
this post:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=107531986114887&w=2

I took a quick look at it, and I can't quite understand why they made
it so complicated.  The same patch also includes integration with
their PF software for traffic fingerprinting purposes, so I guess
that's one reason..

The current tcpdump just drops privileges before pretty much anything
is done.  Now looking at the code, maybe the privilege separation
could be done even slightly earlier in the "pcap_open_live" branch,
e.g., after pcap_open_live, but I haven't tested this.  I guess it
depends on whether pcap_set_datalink, pcap_snapshot (this one might
be dangerous with root!) or pcap_lookupnet requires root privileges.

This might be worth experimenting with.

--

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at