tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: why doesn't tcpdump drop privileges?

From: Hannes Gredler <hannes () juniper net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:28:28 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:05:27AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:

[ ... ]

| Well, speaking as the one who made the patch in the first place, maybe
| 2-3 years ago, I did send it to this list a LONG time ago, but didn't
| bother re-sending too many times because there appeared to be very
| little interest in the patches.
|
| As for why I went for "pcap" instead of nobody in the first place..
| Red Hat bundles tcpdump with arpwatch, which I also coded to drop root
| privileges.  Picking a specific user name for these two purposes
| seemed only logical. (Arpwatch has to maintain a couple of files owned

valued tcpdump workers,

as you may have seem i have commited two patches from pekka that
provides the generic infrastructure for dropping root privileges as well
as a compile time option for specifying a user;

pls check out if the patches do what the majority of us needs
- if not pls let us know your suggested changes;

/hannes

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe