tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: ATM Support.?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:11:40 -0800

On Dec 3, 2003, at 11:51 AM, Black, Nathan wrote:

ATM On Linux. It is a slightly different. and I do not know where to begin.

'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'

                                        -Charles L. Dodgson, "Alice in Wonderland"

For Linux ATM, we just punt and run the packet socket in "cooked mode", so that what link-layer header is in the packet is discarded *IF* the driver and networking stack is correct (and sets the skbuff up appropriately), and a "cooked mode" header with an Ethernet type is added. We do that so as to avoid having to infer the traffic type by looking at the packet data (SunATM helpfully supplies traffic type information in the ATM pseudo-header; as far as I know, if there even *is* an ATM pseudo-header with information such as VPI and VCI, it doesn't include a traffic type indication).

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe