tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing 802.11 frames with udp protocol..

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:37:47 -0700

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 4:18 PM, Justin Robinson wrote:

Can pcap_datalink() tell me if I'm using PPPoA, as opposed to ethernet and
802.11?

It would probably tell you that you're using PPP, *IF* the underlying capture mechanism used by libpcap supplies PPP frames to libpcap. It is not always the case that the underlying capture mechanism does - on Linux, the PPP drivers generally supply crap, so libpcap falls back on "cooked mode" capture, and, on Windows, NDISWAN, at best, supplies fake Ethernet frames and, at worst, does all sorts of unpleasant things.

It is conceivable, although probably quite unlikely, that it would supply raw ATM frames.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe