tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Re: pcap Performance Testimonies

From: Yuchung Cheng <ycheng () cs ucsd edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:11:19 -0700

On 09-20-2003, Richard Sharpe wrote:
We use tcpdump to capture packets at GigE speeds when testing our NAS. We
capture at wire speed with minimal packet drops when the link is working

The packet drop above is the packet drop rate reported by tcpdump or by driver?
I had similar setup and see few tcpdmp packet drop rate (on Linux 2.4), but
that's because most (99%) drops occur at the driver: these packets never reach
the kernel. If pcap perf is sniffing rate, then it really depends on the
driver.

-yuchung
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe