tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Linux problem with libpcap

From: "David Chang" <dchang () fsautomation com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:05:19 -0700

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a program I wrote using libpcap.  This only happens in Linux.  I have the exact same code
running under Solaris without problems.  The first time I run the Linux code, it drops packets (about 10 packets out of
700 packets).  All subsequent runs yield no packet loss.  I think it has to do with Linux's demand paging system where
it loads up just enough code to begin execution and waits for page faults to load the rest of the program.  Once the
program is in memory, everything is fine.

Given this, can I get libpcap to increase it's capture buffer so I can have more time to startup?  Or, is there a way
to load a program completely in memory in Linux before execution begins?

DC