tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Output goes weird!

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:53:39 -0700

On Sep 11, 2003, at 5:41 AM, csmjmr () bath ac uk wrote:

I'm in a bit of trouble actually. This software is for my dissertation -- I
developed on Linux and am trying to port to FreeBSD for testing.

The testing failed miserably :o(

I've done nearly all that you suggested. I've checked the datalink protocol and its ethernet. I'm reading the IP total length and TCP data offset fields to
find out where the payload is.

The reason I don't check the output in the C program is that stdout is
eventually redirected to a Java program that filters out the text characters.

The program worked fine under Linux, but in FreeBSD... so many packets are being dropped by the kernel so I can't read the complete NNTP conversation.

Wait.

So there's one problem, the non-printable characters.

Is the packet dropping a separate problem?

If so, then:

1) are you still having the problem with the non-printable characters? If so, we'd probably have to see your code to see what you're doing wrong.

        2) what indicates that packets are being dropped?

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe