tcpdump mailing list archives

tcpdump - performs what on initialization?

From: "Derek D. Newton" <derek () tera-byte com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:36:51 -0700 (MST)

 I currently administrate some Cobalt RaQ 4 servers, which occaisionally
stop responding via their network interface. This has been a mystery so
far, but may have something to do with ARP'ing. ifconfig down /up brings
the RaQ back up, but so does simply running tcpdump.

 What exactly does tcpdump do when it starts up? I know by default it
drops the NIC into promisc mode, but what else does it perform? If a
server is not responding to pings, and 'tcpdump -p' is run, the server
does become responsive again.. Any input would be appreaciated.

 If this is the incorrect place to send this email, or some good docs
regardings this can be found, please point me in the right direction.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe