tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: icmp: ip reassembly time exceeded ...

From: rmkml <rmkml () wanadoo fr>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:39:55 +0200

Thanks for your very good answers,

Anyone has received icmp ip reassembly time exceeded ?
(and like my pb)

Regard.

Guy Harris wrote:

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 12:13:42PM +0200, rmkml wrote:
but on this file, I read :
09:01:08.317354 195.146.229.47 > 81.51.107.135: icmp: ip reassembly time
exceeded for 81.51.107.135.4662 > 195.146.229.47.3039: [|tcp] (frag
63732:40@0+) (ttl 55, len 60) (ttl 119, id 59326, len 56)

but I not found any fragment on this two ips !

Frame 1291 (from your Tethereal output) has the ICMP packet with the
time-to-live-exceeded error.  That packet includes the IP and TCP
headers of the packet that got the error; the IP header has an IP
identification field of 0xf8f4.

Frame 902 is a TCP segment; its IP header has an IP identification field
of 0xf8f4.  (I used Ethereal to find it - I looked at frame 1291,
selected the "Identification" field in the IP header inside the ICMP
packet (rather than the IP header of the ICMP packet itself), and then
used the "Match->Selected" menu item from the menu you get with the
right mouse button; that found frame 902.)

Frame 902, however, doesn't have the "More fragments" flag set, and it
also doesn't have a non-zero fragment offset.  Its time-to-live is 64,
rather than the 55 in the IP header inside the ICMP packet.  The next 4
bytes of the TCP header, after the destination port field, are 0xef 0xcc
0xa5 0xf3 in both cases; that's the sequence number of the packet.  The
"Total Length" field in the IP header inside the ICMP packet is 60; it's
1500 in frame 902.

Strange ?

Yes.

I don't know what's happening.  I *suspect* that packet 902 somehow was
fragmented by some piece of networking equipment before it reached the
machine at 195.146.229.47 - if so, that piece of networking equipment is
violating RFC 791, which says

    An internet datagram can be marked "don't fragment."  Any internet
    datagram so marked is not to be internet fragmented under any
    circumstances.  If internet datagram marked don't fragment cannot be
    delivered to its destination without fragmenting it, it is to be
    discarded instead.

If so, then that piece of networking equipment might be causing other
problems, which might cause some of the fragments to be lost.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe

-