tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: Remote capture capabilities

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:35:08 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca
[mailto:owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca]On Behalf Of
Michael Richardson
Sent: giovedi 5 giugno 2003 15.13
To: Invernizzi Fabrizio
Cc: tcpdump-workers () tcpdump org
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] Remote capture capabilities

"Invernizzi" == Invernizzi Fabrizio
<Fabrizio.Invernizzi () TILAB COM> writes:
    Invernizzi> is there any plans to have remote capture capabilities
    Invernizzi> included in libpcap?

  None.
  I would want at the least:
    1) an IETF standard capture format
    2) an IETF standard filter language
    3) a clear explanation of the trust model implied

... 4) a Japanese Pope sitting in Rome.
Why don't you say just "no, I don't want it?"

If there is a sufficient number of people interested in remote capture, we
can provide all you need to make it working on unix as well (bsd and linux
are already up and running).

This means, obviously, that libpcap and WinPcap will start diverging, which
is a bad thing for both projects.
I can't believe that the only option is "no", full stop.

Cheers,

        fulvio

  I know of no standard "remote capture" interfaces or protocols,
but please
educate me.

  As far as I can tell, "ssh remotehost tcpdump args" works as well as
anything, and has a well defined security system already.

    Invernizzi> I need such a feature in order to simultaneous capture
    Invernizzi> traffic in different point of the network, and,
the only way
    Invernizzi> i found out, is to have to different tcpdump running on
    Invernizzi> different unix machines and do post analisys of saved
    Invernizzi> captured traffic.

  Yes. The other reason that you might want to do this is because
you want to
avoid capturing the traffic about the capture.

]       ON HUMILITY: to err is human. To moo, bovine.           |
 firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON
] mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/
|device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking,
security guy"); [
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use
mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe

-