tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX BPF driver load

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:45:20 -0800

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:03:36PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
No, it means that if you implement the future we might be truly
impressed that you managed to figure out how to do it, given that you
might have had to reverse-engineer an undocumented AIX interface in
order to do it.

BTW, the page at

        http://www.pugcentral.org/howto/truss.htm

says that "AIX 5L" (I don't know if that's 5.1 or not) includes "truss",
so you might be able to use that to trace tcpdump on a system that
hasn't run tcpdump since it was booted (so that tcpdump will load the
driver), if the APIs for loading drivers aren't documented.

The page claims that earlier releases had a tracing mechanism but that
it didn't let you trace what system calls a *particular* process made.
However, the AIX 4.3 documentation at an IBM Web site says that there's
a "syscalls" command that can be used to trace a particular system call.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe