tcpdump mailing list archives

tcpdump build problems in latest CVS

From: Peter Fales <psfales () lucent com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:51:31 -0600

I build tcpdump for a number of different platforms and I'm seeing
several problems in the latest CVS in that weren't in earlier versions:

- In print-bgp.c and print-isoclns.c, there are several instances of
  a construct like:

        p += sprintf(p, ...)

  On some platforms (namely SunOS 4), sprintf doesn't return the number
  of bytes written, so this doesn't work.  I usually change this to:

        sprint(p, ...)
        p += strlen(p);

- On platforms which don't have snprintf, the configure checks for
  pcap_datalink_name_to_val and pcap_list_datalinks incorrectly
  report "not found".  The conftest.c assumes that a link failure
  is because this function is missing, but it is actually failing
  because snprintf is not found.  (The references to snprintf are
  coming from libpcap, so perhaps this is a libpcap issue - has it
  just started calling  snprintf/vsnprint?)

- On Irix 6.2, /usr/include/sys/socket.h has a #define for sa_len.  This
  breaks print-arp.c around line 162 which has its own sa_len variable.

--
Peter Fales                       Lucent Technologies, Room 1C-436
N9IYJ                             2000 N Naperville Rd PO Box 3033