tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multi-line output

From: Hannes Gredler <hannes () juniper net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:20:25 +0100

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:14:56PM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:

| Some time ago there was a big push to clean up any printers that used
| multi-line output to not output multiple lines unless more than one -v
| was used.  Today I tried a current CVS tcpdump to debug a DHCP problem
| and found that the bootp printer is useless without -v ("BOOTP/DHCP,
| length: 300") and prints multiple lines with -v.

well i guess i have to take the blame for it ...

the motivation i had when initially debugging networking problems
using tcpdump was that some decoders do generate a lot amount of
information, some others don't and again others display just
default parameters - [bootp/dhcp is a good example here];
it was the inconsistency and the non-completeness of the
per-protcol decoders that triggered my interest;

so during the course of last year i have re-worked most
decoders (ospf,is-is,bgp,ldp,rsvp,bootp,cdp,chdlc,ppp)
to be very quiet. just print basic information and
omit everything else behind the -v flags, which may by far
not be perfect but now its at least consistent ;-)

i admit that for the bootp/dhcp decoder i could have at least
left some more information [typically the first layer of
the decoded protcol makes sense e.g. IS-IS PDU type,
OSPF packet type etc ...]

/hannes
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe