tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: 802.11b and libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:57:06 -0800

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 07:05:52PM +0100, Thomas Rulmont wrote:
I would like to know if libpcap support 802.11b frame format,

Yes.

to get the
headers (frame control, four address fields...), in which version,

It was first added in libpcap 0.7, although there were some bugs in the
code generation for BPF filters - those are fixed in the current CVS
version.

and what i have to change to make it work...

Well, you have to change the OS you're running to be one that allows raw
802.11 sniffing, and change the drivers to be drivers that support
"monitor mode", and enable monitor mode

        http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.23

although it appears that for some versions of the Linux Aironet driver
those instructions don't work - I don't know what versions work right, I
don't know why those instructions don't work, and I don't know how to
fix the driver.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe