tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Warning: arptype 802 not supported

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:40:16 -0800

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:41:14AM +0100, Werner Schalk wrote:
I installed nmap using the options "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nmap-3.00
---with-libpcap=/usr/local/libpcap-2003-24-02", linked libcap.so to
/lib and ran an "ldconfig" after it. Ethereal runs fine but gives
a warning which in my opinion could be ignored ("ethereal-capture: Symbol
`pcap_version' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking").

Or consider adding a new API to libpcap to return a string with the
libpcap version. :-)

The current CVS has such an API, which I added for that very reason.

The way many UNIX shared libraries mechanisms work, importing a data
object from a shared library works only if the data object never changes
its size, so that the version in the library when the program importing
it was built will always be the same size as the version in the library
with which the program is linked at run time.

Unfortunately, a string giving a version number can change its length.

It probably won't cause problems if nmap doesn't use the string; if it
does use the string, weird things might happen - i.e., it might not get
the string value it's "supposed" to get.  Fortunately, it's probably
just printing the value.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe