tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap warning: arptype 801 not supported by libpcap -- why this happens?

From: Ying Ge <ying.ge () crc ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:37:41 -0500

Dear mailing list,

I'm using Orinoco wireless network card (drive: Pcmcia-3.2.3) under
Red-hat Linux 8.0. When put the card in monitor mode, I can see a lot of
802.11 raw packets (beacons from Access Point) over Ethereal.

However, I would like to manipulate these 802.11 raw packets, and wrote
a simple C program as follows:

-----Quote-----
/*  my_capture.c */

#include <pcap.h>

int main()
{
    char                            *dev;
    pcap_t*                       handle;
    char                            errbuf[PCAP_ERRBUF_SIZE];
    const u_char            *packet;
    struct pcap_pkthdr    hdr;
    int                                linktype;

    dev = pcap_lookupdev(errbuf);
    pcap_lookupnet (dev, &netp, &maskp, errbuf);
    handle = pcap_open_live (dev, BUFSIZE, 1, 0, errbuf);
    packet = pcap_next (handle, &hdr);
    linktype = get_pcap_linktype (handle, dev);

    printf ("linktype: %d\n");

    pcap_close (handle);

    return (0);
}
-------- Un Quote ------

I compile the above code with: gcc my_capture.c -lpcap, everything is
OK.
However, when I run the program, I got the following output:

"
Warning: arptype 801 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked
socket
 linktype: 113
"

I know that means that the 802.11 raw packet is not recognized by
libpcap. Actually, the libpcap comes with the red-hat 8.0 is the old
version, which did not support 802.11. And I download a later version of
libpcap, compile Ethereal against it, so the Ethereal works fine to
capture the 802.11 packets. But why my code can not recognize these
packets? Is it because when I use "-lpcap", I'm still linking the old
version of libpcap? If it is true, then how can I solve the problem???

Please give me some suggestions! Thanks a lot!

Ying

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe