tcpdump mailing list archives

Killing kernel packet response

From: Jeff Shipman <shippy () nmt edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:26:35 -0700

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask so please point
me in the right direction if this is incorrect.

I'm working on a project where I must capture packets as
they come in over the wire and then depending on what I see
in those packets, I need to send out a particular response
packet.

I'm using libpcap for the capturing and libnet for the packet
crafting. What I'm wondering is: how can I keep the kernel
from generating its own response packet so I can send off
my packet in response instead? I would like there to be
a way that does not require writing kernel code as I'm trying
to keep this very portable across multiple unices.

I also have one more question: When my callback gets called
from pcap_loop(), how can I tell what type of packet is
being held inside? (ie: ethernet or atm? udp or tcp?)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: shippy () nmt edu
Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe