Snort mailing list archives

Rule support on Audio Video Bridging (AVB) protocol

From: Rostanin Gleb SBR DIRCS via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:41:19 +0000

Internal

Hey Snort team,

is there any information on which additional protocols apart of the standard protocols are supported by snort 2 and 3
(support of version differs)? I am interested in analyzing the AVB Transportation protocol with SNORT, by, e.g., using
the dataset of an IDS Automotive Ethernet
Paper<https://ocslab.hksecurity.net/Datasets/automotive-ethernet-intrusion-dataset>. After Layer 2, the AVB protocol,
concretely IEEE 1722 (AVTP) protocol follows directly after Layer 2 and 802.1Q VLAN layer. For the IEEE 1588 protocol,
which is used together with AVB, it is nearly the same.
Is there any possibility on analyzing the packets with Snort? My goal would be to detect injections to the AVTP used by
a Video stream. Also is possible to detect MAC Flooding attacks with Snort, as Snort does not give the option on
analyzing Layer 2?

Sincerely

Gleb Rostanin