Snort mailing list archives

Re: Triggering inspector rules (arp_spoof / stream)

From: Oscar Alvarez <info () firenetsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 17:20:15 -0700

Here are some steps to help you configure Snort3 to detect these attacks:

Download and install Snort3 on your system.
Create a new configuration file for Snort3, typically located in /etc/snort/snort.conf.
In the configuration file, specify the rules that Snort3 should use to detect ARP spoofing and TCP/SYN flood attacks.
To detect ARP spoofing attacks, you can use the "arp_spoof" rule, which is included in the default ruleset. This rule
alerts when an ARP packet is received with a different MAC address than the one associated with the corresponding IP
address in the ARP cache.
To detect TCP/SYN flood attacks, you can use the "tcp_syn_flood" rule, which is also included in the default ruleset.
This rule alerts when a large number of TCP SYN packets are received from a single IP address within a short period of
time.
Make sure to enable the rules in your Snort3 configuration file by adding them to the "rules" section.
Start Snort3 and monitor the alerts generated by the system to detect ARP spoofing and TCP/SYN flood attacks.
Note that Snort3 has many other built-in rules and can also be customized to detect additional types of attacks. It is
important to keep your Snort3 rules up-to-date to ensure the system is able to detect the latest threats.

Sent from my iPhone