Snort mailing list archives

Re: AppID and OpenVPN (snort 3 on FreeBSD 12.x)

From: 文浩 via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:07:51 +0800 (CST)

the ndpi, to integrating the ndpi into Snort as a plugin.  Now that you have that idea why don't you integrate ndpi
into VPP ?

At 2021-08-15 22:54:16, "mike tancsa" <mike () sentex net> wrote:
On 8/13/2021 10:46 AM, Shravan Rangarajuvenkata (shrarang) wrote:

I think I added the port to the right location
(content_group_port_services_2pac_old.lua)

    -- OpenVPN
    {353, 1194, 6},
    {353, 1194, 17},
    {353, 11600, 17},

/>>> This looks good to me. After making this change, did you do one
of the following:/

  * /Issue appid.reload_detectors command/
  * /Restart snort/

/One of the above needs to be done for the change to take effect. If
you have already done this and you still don’t see OpenVPN getting
detected, please send us a pcap and we will investigate it./

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did indeed restart snort but no luck. I
will generate a pcap and send it in another email.

Also, is it all just port based, or does the AppID engine have enough
smarts to recognize the protocol if its running on an arbitrary port ?

/>>> AppId does Deep Packet Inspection (DPI). It can detect
applications running on non-standard ports. However, for an
application where we don’t have unique patterns to identify it, we
sometimes resort to port-based detection. OpenVPN is one such
application./

I was also playing around with ndpi (based on opendpi) via the ndpi
reader. (https://www.ntop.org/products/deep-packet-inspection/ndpi/) and
it seems to have really excellent application layer coverage. Is there
any thought as to integrating this into Snort as a plugin somehow ?

   ---Mike