Snort mailing list archives

Assertion `(IsUDP(p) || IsTCP(p)) && p->payload && p->payload_size' failed.

From: Awais Ali via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:04:11 +0200

Hello all,

I wrote my own decoder for layer 2 protocol by editing decode.c and
decode.h source files. it works fine as per requirement but there is one
issue, when i run snort by adding my decoder (in decode.c and decode.h
files) against that particular layer 2 protocol traffic then it runs fine
but when i run same decoder against other normal traffic (TCP, UDP, DNS
etc) then it gives assertion failed message in dynamic preprocessors as
shown in subject line.
Ideally, it should not alert on normal traffic and should not have this
assertion error on normal traffic(layer 3 and above traffic) since i am not
changing anything else.
What should i do? Any guideline please.

Thanks in advance,
Awais Ali