Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to debug SNORT source code?

From: "Al Lewis \(allewi\) via Snort-devel" <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 17:04:52 +0000

Eclipse doesn’t do any debugging itself. It points to the debugger on your system (i.e GDB) and acts as a visual
wrapper around that.

debian9@debian9:/var/tmp/snort-2.9.15$ gdb ./bin/snort
GNU gdb (Debian 7.12-6) 7.12.0.20161007-git
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from ./bin/snort...done.

(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x41c53: file snort.c, line 716.
(gdb) r ./bin/snort -c etc/pptp.conf -r ~/Downloads/pptp_eap.pcap -Acmg -k none -q
Starting program: /var/tmp/snort-2.9.15/bin/snort ./bin/snort -c etc/pptp.conf -r ~/Downloads/pptp_eap.pcap -Acmg -k
none -q
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=10, argv=0x7fffffffe518) at snort.c:716
716      snort_argc = argc;
(gdb) n
717      snort_argv = argv;
(gdb) n
719      return SnortMain(argc, argv);
(gdb) f
#0  main (argc=10, argv=0x7fffffffe518) at snort.c:719
719      return SnortMain(argc, argv);
(gdb)

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
Cisco Systems Inc.
Email: allewi () cisco com<mailto:allewi () cisco com>