Snort mailing list archives

Re: Update Cisco Smart Install rule 41722

From: Alex McDonnell <amcdonnell () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 12:34:18 -0500

Thanks for the information!
I'll have this flagged to investigation.

Alexandre McDonnell
Talos

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM Quentin LATAUD via Snort-sigs <
snort-sigs () lists snort org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am currently performing analysis on the vulnerabilities related to the
Cisco Smart Install service, to be published in our security magazine.
4 Snort rules aim at detecting the packets crafted by the public tools
exploiting Smart Install (rules # 41722 to 41725, but only the 41722 is
interesting us here).
I identified a public exploitation tool that is different from the
Metasploit exploit and the SIET tool (https://github.com/Sab0tag3d/SIET),
available at the following URL :

https://github.com/ChristianPapathanasiou/CiscoSmartInstallExploit

I replayed it, and the exploit works on my Cisco switch (Catalyst 3750G
PoE24). It actually differs from the packet that triggers the Smart Install
rule 41722 because it does not contain the plaintext string ‘  ://  ‘.
This exploit is actually NOT mentioned in the Talos blog post about Smart
Install:
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/02/cisco-coverage-for-smart-install-client.html
 .

The original exploit packet contains this string command : configure
tftp-server nvram:startup-config (see file
Cisco_Smart_Install_Snort_bypass.pcap, packet #5). Actually, this string is
not interpreted by the switch, which opens its TFTP server upon reception
of any other string command, if the packet structure matches the one
mentioned on the attached pcap file.

The attached pcap demonstrate that it is possible to trigger a TFTP
transfer in order to steal the configuration file of the Cisco switch. What
differs from the famous exploits (Metasploit and SIET) is that the TFTP
transfer is initiated by the attacker, not by the switch itself.

So my suggestion is to change rule #41722 and remove the  content:"://" part
of the rule, only to keep the 00000001 00000001 00000008 fingerprint.
With this change, the rule #41722 will match both exploits packet.

Thank you,

Best regards,
—

Quentin LATAUD
Security Consultant / Pentester

+33 (0)1 79 35 29 30
18 rue Bayard 75008 PARIS - France

www.xmco.fr / blog.xmco.fr

Visit the Snort.org to subscribe to the official Snort ruleset, make sure
to stay up to date to catch the most <a href="
https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads";>emerging threats</a>!