Snort mailing list archives

Re: incremental download of snort rules

From: greg.mcnathansonsnuf003 () gmx-topmail de
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 23:55:52 +0200

sry, my intention was to add this to the thread of my original message from 22 Feb 2017 23:50:33 +0100
but I couldn't find the mail anymore. So I thought, if I use the same subject, this will be added to
that already existing thread.

FYI, original message from 22 Feb 2017 (https://seclists.org/snort/2017/q1/561)

<<<<

Considering the steadily growth of snort rules and download file size, I'm wondering if snort rules can be
downloaded incrementally. Meaning only the changes since a defined base version (e.g. monthly, weekly, daily...) are
downloaded.
Thus saving bandwidth and resources on the server and on the client side either.

Does anyone know if and how snort rules files can be downloaded incrementally?

<<<<

When I was writing a script using rsync lately I thought this could be helpful in achieving incrementally download
snort rules
and saving bandwidth and resources on server and on client side.