Snort mailing list archives

Re: Piping the Snort log output to a MySQL database in Windows

From: "Joel Esler \(jesler\) via Snort-devel" <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 18:14:27 +0000

You should check out winsnort.com.  To my knowledge there is not a way to “pipe” into MySQL.

Sent from my  iPhone

On Dec 27, 2018, at 11:28, Don Hall <dhall () rmscollects com> wrote:

To the Snort community, a question –

I am in Windows, running Snort 2.9.12 and doing logging.

I want to pipe the output that goes to console (screen) or out to the log output,
And rather than wait to read it back in, via the –r option,
I want to “Pipe” it (use the output of one process as the input of another process)
Out to MySQL (version 8.0.13), or out to a file to use it as an input buffer, filling
At the same time, rather than waiting until later to process it.

I am reading how I can do it via a Python script, but I want to be able to do
The piping in Snort (for Windows).

I also see how I can do it in Snort (Linux version), but we are in a Windows
Environment.

Regards,

Don Hall
Snort user, in Windows