Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error while starting Snort 3

From: "Mike Stepanek \(mstepane\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:53:47 +0000

Correction: The entries in that file are tab-delineated (my fingers got ahead of my brain).

In the appMapping.data file that you shared with me, it looks like the very first line is "bogus" (the one that doesn't
look like any other line). I just downloaded it myself, and I see the same issue that you see. Somewhere along the way,
we must have started including a bad line at the top of that file. We will work on getting that resolved.

Also, it looks like Snort2 and Snort3 AppIDs have a difference stance on the fatalness of bad app entries. We'll work
on resolving that as well (and make a clearer message).

In the meantime, you should be able to just remove that first line, and it should work just fine. So, delete this line
at the top (it shouldn't be there):

    Snort Differs AppKey vmware-remote-auth -> vmware-remote-a

Thanks for the report!

 - Mike Stepanek
   mstepane () cisco com