Snort mailing list archives

Rules to Alert on Same System(Word Doc)

From: Mike via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 23:12:08 +0900

I was able to successfully install Snort on Windows 10 and am able to receive alerts with the current rules I have enabled for other tests.  I am collecting on the same machine Snort is installed on, and I am using the "-k none" switch when I start Snort.

I am conducting research in my lab to see how Snort responds to these types of files and at the same time learn to write effective rules.

I have created a malicious (for test) Word doc that uses DDE to open a Chrome browser and open up google.com.  There are numerous rules for Office files, but most are geared towards traffic over mail client/server ports and no matter how I tweak my rules, I am not able to get an alert when I run the document.

Since the traffic is originating from the same system, should the rules start:

"alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"Microsoft DDE field exploit"; flow:to_server,established; file_data;....?"

Any help on if this can be done, or what the payload or rule is missing would be greatly appreciated.

R/S

Mike

        snort-users-leave () lists snort org