Snort mailing list archives

Re: SNORT Alert Messages

From: Y M via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 00:21:06 +0000

Comments inline.

________________________________

Hello again everyone,

I want to learn which alert belongs to which packet when SNORT prints alert messages. Is there any unique parameter
that identifies packets?

Such questions are better suited to the snort-user list. You will probably catch wider audience there.

For example, when I give a pcap file which includes more than 50.000 packets inside to SNORT, I want to see alert
messages like that:

[some alert] - Packet ID: 125
[some alert] - Packet ID: 200
[some alert] - Packet ID: 1456
.
.
.
[some alert] - Packet ID: 23500

Which Snort version are we talking about here?

If there not exist unique parameter for packets, how can I learn which alert belongs to which packet from alert
messages ?

By reviewing the packets via tcpdump/wireshark/tshark and correlating that to the detected rules? You can also chop
your pcap to smaller chunks, which should make it easier.

Thanks.