Snort mailing list archives

Rule Needed

From: Beshoy Atef via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 17:28:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Snort Team,

I have came across something that you might be able to help me in,

We had a pen testing project, and we had a recommendations of applying rule to detect password sprays,

What happened is that the pen tester was able to run a script that send multiple sessions to login to multiple machines
using the different usernames but with the same password, till he was able to login.

I need a rule that can detect the following:
1) If multiple login sessions was initiated from the same machine -same source ip-  within low time frame.2) It was
using different usernames but all used the same password.3) It was not destined to one machine that is why this ip was
not locked out.

I would appreciate if you can guide me to get this rule implemented.

Thanks again.
Beshoy