Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can i effect new Local Rules in Snort

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 10:59:28 -0400

On 03/29/2018 10:03 AM, Samuel Lungu wrote:

I have installed a new snort server according to this guide https://www.snort.org/documents/snort-2-9-9-x-on-ubuntu-14-16.

My challenge is whenever i make changes to the local.rules file, the news rules are not taking effect. The system is only loading the first original rule which i had configured for testing. This has happened no matter how often i restart the snort and barnyard2 service,

what does snort's logs say when you restart it? look specifically for things like "rule is same as another. using old rule" and similar... this could indicate that you have not assigned a unique sid to the rule... you should always have a sid and a rev in your rules... when you change a rule's detection properties, you should increment the rev, too...

if it is not a sid and rev problem, please post your rules so we can see them and not have to continue to make WAGs ;)