Snort mailing list archives

Re: New tools for testing Snort rules and crafting pcaps

From: lists () packetmail net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 08:21:05 -0600

Nice work David, thanks for sharing.  I really liked the use of api_keys as well.

On 11/21/17 21:42, David Wharton wrote:
I know some of you may have already see this but for those who haven't -- last
week Secureworks released two open-source tools for IDS rule testing and pcap
creation: Dalton and Flowsynth.

Dalton is a system that allows a user to quickly and easily run network packet
captures against a Snort version of his choice using defined rulesets and/or
custom (ad-hoc) rules.  Flowsynth is a tool for rapidly modeling network traffic
and creating pcaps. More details in the repo READMEs.

https://github.com/secureworks/dalton
https://github.com/secureworks/flowsynth
https://www.secureworks.com/blog/new-open-source-ids-tools

I hope you find them useful; I know I sure do.

-David Wharton

Visit the Snort.org to subscribe to the official Snort ruleset, make sure to
stay up to date to catch the most <a href="
https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads";>emerging threats</a>!