Snort mailing list archives

Alerts for OOXML and MOX

From: Will via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:01:10 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,
    I am pretty new to the Snort world.  I am wondering if it is possible to create an alert that can look inside OOXML
or MOX type formats to find clear text content.  The thing about these file types are they are compressed files with
it's own  file structure within the file.  What I am aiming at doing is to have an snort alert look for people trying
to off load (Copy) lots of sensitive data (Like Social Security Numbers) from these type files.  One alert I created
looks like this.
alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Sensitive Info being Accessed"; pcre:"/\d{3}\-\d{2}\-\d{4}/"; sid: 100001)
But this alert only works for things like text files.
I am thinking there might have to be a preprocessing for this to work?  Is there something like this out there?

- Will