Snort mailing list archives

Re: Average delay per packet observation

From: Patrick Mullen <pmullen () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 07:32:34 -0400

Because of the rules option tree, your "halved" theory doesn't work.  Also,
because of the fast pattern matcher, what rules are evaluated is further
complicated.

Of greater interest is (assuming I'm reading the results correctly) is how
far different your results are for 80 rules.  How are you getting your
numbers?  How much traffic are you passing? How many iterations of your
test are you running?  With small, short tests, many things can skew
results, especially on multiuser systems.

Thanks,

Patrick