Snort mailing list archives

Snort 3 Config File Question (1)

From: Jim Campbell <jim () w4bqp net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:13:02 -0400

I don't understand the relationship of the various configuration files in /opt/snort/etc/snort.

Three files appear to be configuration files: snort.lua (--Snort++ configuration), snort_config (-- Snort prototype configuration) and snort_defaults.lua (-- Snort++ defaults). While snort_defaults.lua doesn't say it is a configuration file, most if not all of its arguments are configuration items.

Snort.lua checks for the presence of snort_config (require('snort_config') -- for loading) but it doesn't appear to use it. Snort.lua appears to call snort_defaults.lua (dofile(conf_dir .. '/snort_defaults.lua')).

Snort_config checks to see if itself is there (require("snort_config")).
Snort_config appears to call snort_defaults.lua (dofile(conf_dir .. '/snort_defaults.lua')).

Maybe I've sorted this out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. For the configuration file I should use either snort.lua OR snort_configuration. Snort_defaults.lua contains parameters that are more stable, i.e., that need to be changed less often.

But if snort.lua is an alternative for snort_config why does it check to see if snort_config is present?

Thank you,

Jim

--
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience;
we are spiritual beings having a human experience."