Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about Artificial Neural Networks, Preprocessors and Snort

From: Marcin Dulak <marcin.dulak () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 23:35:41 +0200

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Luan Utimura <lnutimura () hotmail com br>
wrote:

Hello Russ, thank you for replying!

I've heard of Snort++ and you're the second to recommend it for someone
who wants to develop custom preprocessors, so I'm definitely looking for it.
I'm not sure how I would feed my ANN, but I'm probably using a known
dataset, for example, the KDD Cup 1999 Data, so I'm assuming they are raw
packets? (Feel free to correct me).

Any other thing I should look up to if I'm going to write a Preprocessor?

I've been reading a lot of articles about people who integrated IA into
Snort through modules, plug-ins, but it's hard to find a good source that
can be used as a "tutorial".

Look at https://github.com/BlackLight/Snort_AIPreproc and the corresponding
master thesis https://www.fabiomanganiello.com/#research
Despite the fact that the project has been open sourced and documented it
died anyway.
The thesis will give you an overview what's possible and useful - maybe
having some AI would be more useful outside of snort, in a modern
alert management tool like https://github.com/jasonish/evebox . See some
discussion here https://github.com/jasonish/py-idstools/issues/44

I found a paper from SANS Institute called "Developing a Snort Dynamic
Preprocessor", but now that you suggested Snort++, I have no idea on how
different things are going to be now.

check out directly at https://github.com/snortadmin/snort3

Marcin

Again, thanks!