Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-Generate HTTP traffic with hping3 using one PC

From: rmkml <rmkml () ligfy org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 20:57:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Warn your snort rule inspect port 80 but your hping3 flood port 8000.

Best Regards
@Rmkml

On Tue, 30 May 2017, ‫moon sun‬ ‫ wrote:

I'm using snort 2.9.9.0 on obuntu 15.10 , I want to test snort to alert http traffic, So I added this rule to local
rules :

 alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 80 (msg:"HTTP Test!!!"; classtype:not-suspicious; sid:1000002;  rev:1;)

Now I want to generate some http traffic with hping3, so I used:

   $ sudo hping3 -c 10000 -d 120 -S -w 64 -p 8000 --flood --rand-source

But it says :
    3956843 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

The problem in the source ip address, I have only one PC , How can I use hping3 to send tcp traffic (http) to my pc
from the same pc ?
If this is not possible, Then is there another way to generate http traffic from and to the same pc ?