Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to run multiple instances of snort inline and daq and multiple interfaces (firewall)

From: Stanford Prescott <stan.prescott () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:46:29 -0500

Yes, I figured you would see me, wkitty42. Thank you for trying to help. ;)

I did see that reference about the interfaces in colon separated pairs when
using DAQ for inline mode. I am having trouble conceptualizing how that
bridging works on a Linux firewall where one interface is the WAN and up to
three additional interfaces are each a separate LAN in its own distinct
non-overlapping private subnet. As with a typical NAT router firewall all
WAN traffic is NATd to the appropriate LAN.

My limited understanding is in order to have snort sniff and alert on
traffic at each interface that multiple instances of snort running inline
are required in order to have "bidirectional" monitoring.

The present setup I am dealing with is that snort is installed on the
firewall box and only sniffs traffic arriving on the WAN interface from the
ISP or incoming traffic. Snort is unable to sniff outgoing traffic from the
internal LANs and be able to tell where the traffic is coming from because
by the time traffic from the internal LANs arrives on the WAN interface,
snort does not have access to where the originating outgoing traffic is
from.  I know that is a poor explanation, sorry.

Anyway, perhaps a diagram of the flow of traffic using multiple instances
of snort running on a firewall distro would help describe how the
interfaces need to be bridged. Does anyone know where a diagram like that
might be?